Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Inspiration through Envious Eyes

燕 雀 擁 有 鴻 鵠 志
Little Sparrow with Dreams of Swans

I hate to admit when I have a weakness. Perhaps it’s because I have so many of them. Usually I try to keep them hidden – some under a carpet, others inside my socks, and some I try to hide behind my brilliant smile. (Yes, I know, the last one isn’t much of a hiding place). But one weakness I cannot hide: I’m jealous of artists.

I’m jealous that artists look at the world with such creative eyes. For artists, light is more brilliant, children are more playful, trees and flowers reflect a certain glow, and emotions are more intense. I look at the world as an engineer: how can I take something apart to see how it works? Artists see the beauty of the world. I see the function. I’m jealous.

I’m jealous of artists’ ability to produce things that accurately reflect what’s in their hearts or minds – paintings, sculpture, music, dance. When I try sculpture, I end up with an amorphous lump – and yes, I know only an engineer would use the word “amorphous.” Artists create things that are truly unique. My job is to find ways to make thousands of items exactly the same. I’m jealous.

Most of all, I’m jealous that artists are so fashionable and cool. They simply look better than the rest of us without even trying. Maybe it’s because they have freedom to look different. Artists don't need to impress the corporate boss or customer. My friend Shawn Wang, for instance, she looks cool, elegant, and fashionable in anything she puts on. Where can I learn to dress like that? I’m jealous.

Doesn’t matter. I put aside my jealousy to go see art shows and museums every chance I get. I love to experience art and I love to meet the artists. Jealousy is an irrational emotion, so I exercise my right to go see the objects of my envy.


Last weekend in Changwon Korea I went to an art show by the Korean Professional Artists Association. I went to see the display by my new friend, Ms. Moon HaeJeong. She produces sculptures of metal, acrylic, and ceramics that are quite unique. Each piece is different, but shares the main theme of her desire to break free from convention and reach for full enjoyment of life.

This is a true yin-yang-yin way of looking at life – trapped by custom and convention, always desiring to break free, but a little bit nervous to do so. I suspect many of us share these feelings. Her artwork connected with my emotions in a strong way. That’s when I like art: tell the story and provide emotions with no words. Ms. Moon hits the target. Yes, she does remind me of the little sparrow with dreams of swans.

Here is her picture and some of her artwork. She dressed so cool, looked so fashionable. Her face has a relaxed serenity that is free of wrinkles...and she has a daughter who is already in her 20’s. I couldn't believe it. Yes, I’m jealous that anyone can keep looking so young. I’m also happy to have a new friend.


I met another very interesting artist, Mr. Jang Yun-Jun. He spoke no English and I speak no Korean, but we managed to communicate just the same. Mr. Jang paints traditional style mystical pictures using a combination of ink made from stone powders and grasses. His philosophy is to use only items that were available to ancient artists (rocks, herbs, and grass) and reformulate them to make modern art based on traditional religious themes. He mixes his inks and crystal powders so the colors are absolutely brilliant and shimmering. Wow. What a concept. I’m jealous again.

OK, maybe I’m not jealous. I’m envious. I love meeting people who look at life completely different than me. They inspire me to take a new look at life, to try new things, and to break out of the convention that traps my mind. The diversity of people in this world, the different ways of looking at life, these things make life more interesting and worthwhile, don’t you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home