Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Ghosts of the Masters

空手に先手なし
In Karate there is no attack

Oriental martial arts and karate-do became a true way of life rather than war when the ancient masters realized they could use martial arts to challenge and improve themselves rather than simply kill other people. Improving myself a little bit every day. Preparing myself each morning to face new challenges and projects with indomitable spirit. That's why I love to practice martial arts.

Every morning I wake early and prepare to practice karate in a park. Following the Way of life is my way to try to stay in shape and keep my spirits up each day. Even in the Korean winter, it helps me expand my spirit and prepare for the coming day.

I travel so much that often I must exercise by myself. I look for peaceful parks, lakes, or beaches in which to exercise. Sometimes exercising every day takes a lot of discipline. I encourage myself by repeating: "sweat now so I won't bleed later."

I balance the solitude by imagining the history of a place where I am working out. Over the centuries, how many Chinese masters have practiced TaiQi Quan near JingAn temple? How many thousands of years have countless soldiers trained in the shadow of China's Great Wall? Hundreds of years ago, many swordsmen practiced, trained with masters, and fought duels in Saint James park near Buckingham Palace. All these places I have been and imagined the history and the hard training they endured. The spirits of these earlier generations spur me to honor them and to seek perfection through my humble efforts.

One morning in Beijing brought some special magic. I went early while still dark to exercise in a park near a lake. The full moon was still shining bright through the trees and filtered mysteriously through the mist that was rising from the lake. As I stretched in preparation, a flute player sent traditional Chinese music floating on the breeze. Closing my eyes, I could imagine myself in ancient China, training next to the ghosts of countless generations of Chinese masters. Thank you Beijing, for welcoming me with your wonderful magic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home