Saturday, January 07, 2006

Karate in the Desert Dojo

空手の沙漠の道場
も一回 も一回 も一回 も一回 も一回。。。。

Repetition, repetition, repetition is the basic rule
of teaching and learning karate and all Asian martial arts. The body, mind, and spirit must be trained to memorize each movement and do it exactly the same way, properly, each time - without thinking. Every day, 100 kicks, 100 punches, 100 blocks? Not enough. Try tripling that. When do you learn the proper way to do a punch, kick, or block? Many masters say, after 3000 repetitions. That qualifies a novice. 3000 repetitions says you just began to learn.

I started the New Year the right way, practicing Karate-do every morning, outside in the cold desert sunrise. The desert hill, with the sun rising early in the cold winter morning - this was a
great way to collect my thoughts and gather my spirit with karate exercises. The temperature each morning was a frosty 3C (about 40F) - I regret that I was not barefoot but needed shoes. I have to admit that I didn't practice as hard as I should - I was sick with a cold, cough, and sore throat. Nevertheless, I continued my repetitions each day - one more time, one more time, one more time. That is the way, the "do" (pronounced "doe" in Japanese), the Tao, 道、of karate. Following this discipline in all aspects of life, I hope, will lead to excellence in my other endeavors as well.

My goal this year is the same as every year - to improve my body, my spirit, and my self. Hopefully karate-do practice every morning will contribute. My next goal? To find schools and teachers in each place I travel, to meet martial artists around the world, and to improve my own skill. Let's hope it works.

Oh, I shouldn't forget. I also want to learn Squawking Chicken Kung Fu (see my previous blog). China has an ancient book called "36 Strategies for Victory." People who read Chinese characters or Japanese kanji know that I quote the 36 Strategies quite often in my blogs. Strategy number 36 is: when all else fails, RUN. Distance - always the best defense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home